Maryland school security officers hospitalized after breathing in narcotic vapors
Montgomery County Maryland March 16th, 2023
Two high school security officers at a high school in Montgomery County, Maryland, were recently hospitalized after breathing in smoke from an unknown drug inside a school bathroom, officials say.
While the security officers were checking out an odor coming from a bathroom at Northwood High School in Silver Spring on February 17, they “experienced adverse reactions,” according to a letter school officials sent to parents about the incident.
Montgomery County police said that both security officers experienced “odor-induced vomiting.”
According to the school’s letter, the security officer found two students and observed visible smoke in the bathroom. The students admitted to “smoking an unknown drug in the bathroom”.
The security officers said that the smell was terrible.
“It just smelled like, you know, feces … and like something that burned,” said Richardo Morales, a junior at the high school.
The area around the bathroom was closed off for the rest of the day.
EMS were notified and assisted the security officers and transported them to an area hospital.
The students are facing punishment, school officials said.